Monday, November 19, 2007

Happy 23!

November 5th, 2007

One of the best birthdays I’ve had is in Africa. Well, I could call it the best birthday I’ve ever had in Africa, my first one. So on November 5th, a lovely Monday, I turned 23 years old in a land as far away from family as possible, but as warm and welcoming as being at home. I had the day free and made some errands in town by myself, enjoying my time of happiness, chatting to different townspeople as I ran about my business. Little did I know of all the quiet planning and strategizing that went behind my back during that time by the rest of the EI staff. After a peaceful day, I was invited to a birthday dinner at Andrew and Miriam’s place. I have asked for eggplant, rice and potato for dinner. That was what I got, because my favorite vegetable is eggplant and favorite food is rice. Yes, come to think of it, I’m a pretty cheap person to treat.

I was given Tangawizi (Tanzanian ginger ale) because it was my birthday. Previous days, everytime I ordered Tangawizi, it was out, so Sacha suggested getting Tangawizi for me. I was made very special that day. After the meal, Sacha and Miriam glanced at each other dubiously and ran into the kitchen. Within minutes, they brought out a beautiful strawberry shortcake with candles on top. I later found out that Sacha slaved away half a day making it. It was so delicious and just melts in my mouth! By this time, I was already extremely blessed and felt very special, thankful for the love and consideration lavished on me by these people that I have only gotten to know. Then, after finishing the fab cake, again, the same quite suspicious look came across again. Suddenly, out came the presents, all wrapped in shinny purple. As I opened each gift, I was surprised as each gift had a special meaning to me. A notebook from Neema Crafts, a Christian Swahili CD which I was planning on buying, and a Mr. Bean’s Complete Series DVD (as we all know that Jen loves Mr. Bean’s). I was laughing so much that tears rolled down my eyes. That was how happy I was. It wasn’t over yet as the funniest expression rolled over everyone and Joe, Paul (a friend who works at Neema Crafts), Sacha, Andrew and Miriam all rushed into the kitchen. In a line, they came, dancing up this round thing wrapped in excessive purple wrapping paper. As I received it, I knew exactly what was in it. Since my first week, I have spotted the most hideous thing in the world that it was even rejectedk from Value Village. It was a costume, suitable for children, of Miss Piggy with a huge head and purple sequins. However, the head fits right under Miss Piggy’s head which looked like one is being eaten by her. The doll was hanging right on the toy stand in the market. Ever since I saw it, I have shown it to everyone who would pass by the toy stand with me because I thought that it was the ugliest and funniest thing in the world. It would seriously give some children nightmares. So, everytime I passed by, I’d anticipate seeing it. It was moved to different spots, but I’d still always be happy to search for it. So, whenever I walked by, the sellers would pull out the doll for me to look at. When I opened the purple wrapping paper, I laughed hysterically. It was sweet of the staff in buying me Miss Piggy and I was very touched for their consideration. The hideous doll no longer seemed so ugly and was almost adorable because of what went in behind it to get it into my arms. So, it is now mine......

My goal for the upcoming year is to bribe a child to take Miss Piggy out of my possession. However, I don’t believe anyone can appreciate this gift more than me.

Happy Birthday! But Ben's the "real" star!


Awesome company for my birthday in Tanzania (from left to right): Jen, Andrew, Ben, Miriam, Sacha and Paul - Joe's taking the picture


mm.... yum..strawberry shortcake


The first present, a very good quality notebook made by Neema Crafts (a craft shop for disabled craftsmen)



Miss Piggy!!

1 comment:

rubyslipperlady said...

I hope my birthday (Dec. 5) is half as fun as yours was only without the scarey Miss Piggy costume.